Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What To Talk About In Bed

K-Bot and I have been together for 6 and a half years, and it seems we have run out of personal things to talk about. You can only talk about your work day so many times, after all it is the same thing day in and day out. So what is there for us to talk about? Well we always find something and it always entertains K-Bot. Here is a list of recent discussions:

~Quantum Tunneling - I explained this to K-Bot, though he is the one who studied it in school (he got to take physics) so he didn't get much out of it. I practiced it to no avail, again. Then discussed the likability that I would indeed pass through, more probable is the scenario of only my top layer of atoms being able to pass through his top layer of atoms resulting in becoming the only pair of non-sibling conjoined twins. I then worked over the equation of the possibility of that happening and said that the equation should also include Murphy's Law, as it could easily happen during a private moment in a place no twin should be conjoined. K-Bot enjoyed this theory.

~Deer Preservation - Should the Government regulate a feeding program through harsh winters to ensure survival of deer, or should Mother Nature be left to what she does best, or in other words survival of the fittest. Doesn't it go against the circle of life to interfere with nature in such a way to greatly change the eco system, and then what happens to the weak deer that are now dependant on man?

~Radioactivity - When you nuke a bug do you not worry or even consider the probability of a spider man scenario? It is not at all impossible for you to radiate a bug and then that bug to bite someone and make a super hero, the word you would use is improbable. So what is the likelihood of this, and what exactly would happen. Surely it is even less probable that the resulting super hero would be exactly like spider man, a radioactive spider doesn't know who it is biting. More than likely if you have the material to do this experiment you are either the Government or a bad person planning nothing good.

~Perfection - We will eventually be perfected right? Well then what exactly does that mean? Is there a standard to which we will be held? Currently it is pretty much supermodel/actress driven. If we were held to a perfection standard wouldn't that then take away our "usness"? I usually end this discussion with "I may not be perfect but God made me perfectly me. I currently don't know what this means", K-Bot smiles and shakes his head.

~Pinocchio - So Pinocchio says "my nose is going to grow", it has either 2 ways to then go. First, it doesn't grow, which means he lied, which then means it would grow, which is the truth so it wouldn't grow. Second it does grow, which is the truth so it wouldn't grow, but is a lie as he said it would, so then it would, but then that's the truth so it wouldn't grow.

~Star Wars - So K-Bot has an advanced diploma in photonics, the study of light, and we love science fiction so we watch Star Wars. We then discuss how the light sabre is either more advanced than current understanding of light or not at all a probable weapon. You see light doesn't end, it eventually grows dimmer the farther away you get yes but those light sabres are some what short. There is no way for the light to just end after maybe 3 or 4 feet (I really don't know the measurements of a light sabre). Plus should they hit one another they would simply pass through not make hitting noises. But all this can be summed up in, it wouldn't make a good movie if the theatrical effects weren't there.

~Newton - Why does he get the distinct honor of being the one who discovered gravity? Was it not here all along? That honor should go to the first person on Earth, Adam. K-Bot says he is important because he discovered the effects of gravity leading to the eventual knowledge that gravity is (I currently forget what K-Bot said, I was really tired by this point), however I am sure you don't need an equation to tell you about gravitational effect, I am sure at some point well before Newton some one had to have fallen and said "Crap that really hurt. I was up then went down and the Earth did nothing to catch me nicely. It seemed as though I sped up as I fell down".

~Gravity and the Need for Planes - I argued that we don't need planes, that all physics and the study of gravity ever did to help us get to a point to use planes was useless. A plane can easily be flowen anywhere and used as a weapon. However if we still had ships, I called it Titanic boats, then most of the world would be safe and all we would have to protect is the outward laying coasts, and that would be far simpler than an entire continent. K-Bot says that planes are a necessity. I had to argue the other direction as I have gone 23 years without needing one, he on the other hand has driven to California in a van with his family, he NEEDED a plane then.

As you see we speak mainly in the improbable vs. impossible. We both love science and so that ends up driving the conversation. Big discussion nights happen when we wind up watching the Discovery Channel.

No comments: