Sunday, April 18, 2010

Hank's Retirement

When I was young, the first song I sung was "There's a Tear in My Beer", a classic duet between Hank Williams Sr & Jr. I loved that song, so much so that the tape that contained it was the only thing I would listen to in the car. We went to Marathon and back (13 hours each way) and that was the only tape I would allow to play. When I was 3 my Aunt Debbie bought me a Hank Williams Jr shirt. It was perfect. The Phoenix on the front that read Hank, and on the back, you guessed it, Hank Sr & Jr with "There's a Tear in My Beer" scrawled across. It was my favorite shirt, of course at the time it was a night shirt as it was an adult size small. Seems they don't make country shirts for kids back then, especially if they had beer written on them. I eventually grew into it and it was always a part of my wardrobe. My in-laws learned of my song after we got married, and I would wear my shirt and they would laugh. However it has been 20 years....and even the best of shirts are not to last that long. My mother in law noticed that it was starting to be a little see through (though I always wore a long sleeve shirt under it) and had MANY holes in it. She suggested that I get it framed, "so as to make it last longer". Longer than 20 years? I refused, I said it had a lot of life left in it. However after MUCH thought I decided it was time to hang up the old shirt and maybe get myself a new one. So I hunted down a frame, which I got 80% off at Michaels, and retired my Hank. A sad day, but a happy one. Now the shirt I have loved for 20 years will have a proud new spot on the wall for 20 more years of love. In case you are wondering about the tape, it still works. I listened to it everyday on the way to and from college, K-Bot learned to love it. I kept it in my car up until I retired the shirt and thought it only fitting they retire together. It is now sitting on my desk, beside another treasured possession my Geri Spice Girl doll, while I decide exactly what to do with it.

So far the hunt for the new concert shirt is unsuccessful. I am currently getting by on my Hanson shirt, sad so sad. I really need to go to a decent concert!

Now to see what K-Bot will allow me to do with the other several shirts I have had since I was a young kid. These include: yellow downtown Shining Tree, Caps Hunting and Fishing Store Field Staff, and a white Bancroft shirt with a big beaver on the front.

No comments: