Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Crocodile Theory

"You may very well be well bred
Lots ot etiquette in your head
But there's always some special case, time or place
To forget etiquette"
~Never Smile At A Crocodile

During markets as we set up for the day we all chat about random things sometimes, on one particular weekend a group of us were discussing books. Jurassic Park came up and we talked about the amount of swearing in it, I argued that it was all within reason, if I was on an island and about to be eaten by a dinosaur it is directly within reason that I would let out a swear (or some other non appropriate witty remark). My father in law, listening in on this whole conversation said "well I wouldn't swear, those words aren't in my vocabulary". Our conversation ended there, but I have continued to think about it, I mean swears aren't my everyday words either but then again my everyday doesn't in anyway involve being eaten by a dinosaur.

I was listening to the Peter Pan soundtrack yesterday and singing along to Never Smile At A Crocodile (I never made it through the movie as a kid but have always been able to sing every word of this song) and when the lyrics at the top passed through my mouth I got it. Even Disney song writers think that you would forget etiquette in certain situations. I told this all to KBot in bed last night and he agreed that I had a very valid point. I told him that I would call it the Crocodile Theory, and that if ever I got my hands on a dinosaur I would test this theory (no worries KBot will make sure that I never get a dinosaur, he is funny about allowing my theories to be tested. Alas I shall never have a theorem).

I have always been a believer in the small slice of pie, you know that one that says it will happen no matter how unlikely the situation? Yeah definitely not the real pie, if it is real I believe in the big piece and then seconds. For those of you who read this and are Doctor Who fans, I finished my Crocodile Theory Pie rant with this, there is always that small slice of pie and you know where it is KBot? In the corner of your eye, that place you never want to look.

No comments: