Wednesday, January 30, 2013

From Noodle to Henry James

So Noodle remained Noodle till Sunday evening when the midwife informed us that she needed a name for the health card. So how did it end up Henry James?

We had a list of names. Not quite as long as girl names but still decent. We knew he would be a ginger and picked names that would suit a ginger. Sunday the 6th we were filling out his memory book and came to the section about his name. We didn't fill it out but talked about the name more. It was decided, Arthur Douglas. We would hold out telling everyone until he was here but we had his name to welcome him. I felt better, I had been a little sad that he didn't have a name picked out. However I did slip the little scrap of paper with name ideas into my blue folder with all my midwife records, you know just in case.

Well when the midwives announced he had dark hair, the Arthur Douglas balloon popped and we were left without a name. We just kept calling him Noodle. It's what we were used to. We couldn't help but call him Noodle, but that can't be his legal name, we aren't weird like that.

When my eyes first locked on his the first name that came to mind from my list was Henry. Henry James. But I knew Kyle wasn't a fan when I put that name on my list so I didn't say anything. That's my thing really, I never tell Kyle anything. Then I feel bad and tell him and all along he feels the same way but won't tell me. But we will still go through this dance every time we make a decision. Jessica emails Saturday to send us a list of names, Henry is on that list, Kyle doesn't like it. My parents come over and Dad says James Henry. Kyle still doesn't like it. Mom calls when they get home, they like Henry James or James Henry. I don't even bother telling Kyle they say this. People are waiting on facebook, people are calling on the phone. What is babys name? Uhh Noodle.... we can't decide. All along we thought it would be easy, he would come out and tell us what his name was. I guess he told me but Kyle hadn't gotten that memo.

Sunday comes and we know the midwife will be here at some point and ask. So while Jess is doing something out of our room (I don't know what, I was still on bed rest), Kyle and I talk. I tell him it is Henry. He is Henry. Kyle says ok. I say I am not sure, after all Kyle's reaction was ok, not yes I know it is. So we leave it there for that moment. We don't know any Henrys so the name isn't soured and that also means it is still somewhat unique while also being classic and traditional. And as for James, that is after my Dad and Kyle's grandpa (both named Donald James if you can believe it) it has always been on the list of names (it was once upon a time what Jess and I would call our imaginary brother that we never did get even after asking Santa a million times).

The midwife comes and hands me the form, I put everything else down. I look at Kyle. "Henry James?". "Yes". I write it, paying very special attention to not spell it wrong. I regret it immediately, what if Kyle wasn't so OK with the name?

That night, after all our company leaves I sit with Kyle and tell him that I knew his name was Henry James from the second I looked at him. He assures me that it is a great name and suits him.

No comments: