So Noodle was born and became Henry James. He is amazing and awesome and can poop like nobodies business (seriously, 2 weeks old and over 200 diapers... welcome to the poor house!).
So Thursday the 10th I hosted book club, towards the end I was feeling some contractions but only a couple and I had been like this for a week so I shrugged it off. I slept through the night, so Friday morning I knew it wasn't labor If there is one thing I knew it was that you can't sleep through labor So I got up and had breakfast and a shower (I had been having a shower every morning just in case). I decided that the baby would be here soon enough so I would take the time to straighten my hair. I had a couple of contractions standing there, but hey I was standing so of course I would feel gravity working a bit, no biggie. NOT IN LABOR I emailed Kyle to tell him I was still contracting but that it was ok they weren't painful and didn't take away from my day and were not regular. In fact while I was sitting at the computer I took the time to email Mamaz back to say that it wouldn't be that day, and that I would probably make it to my next midwife appointment on Monday.
At 1 I laid down for my typical 1.5 hour nap time (also just in case). That's when I decided to start timing my contractions, just for fun. I WAS NOT IN LABOR They were about 2 minutes long and 8 minutes apart on average. I emailed Kyle about this. He said that I probably had lots of time. By 3 they weren't letting up, but they weren't exactly regular either. So I sucked it up and called Mamaz to talk to Nurse Jessica about the whole thing. She said that it sounded weird because they are suppose to start short and get up to 1 minute long. I could talk and be normal so I assured them that it probably wouldn't be till the next day, I was so not having a baby that day. It was a Friday after all, and it was raining. Blah. However just to cover all my bases I called Heather, who was going to be taking the birth photos to say that maybe tonight I would need her. I emailed Kyle again around 4 saying that I was not in labor but that I was not feeling very well and therefor it was obvious that we weren't having pizza and watching a movie. His response was "that is not obvious, I am still having pizza".
Kyle got home from work at 5:20 and said he was going to go look in the drive way for the keys he lost out there during all that snow on boxing day. He came in shortly after 5:30 and I was REALLY grumpy by then. Maybe...MAYBE I was in labor. So I wandered around the house till 6 at which point I said he should call the midwife because I was finally admitting that I was in labor. Still no real pain, just contractions. Still not regular, still 2 minutes long and 8 minutes apart on average. But I was concerned because sometimes they were up to 4 minutes long and 10 minutes apart. She assessed me over the phone and said I was still a ways off to have a gravol for my nausea and get in a hot bath and relax. So I did just that. If I was still feeling ill in an hour I was to call her back and we would make a plan from there. During this call we informed her that even though my iron was up we weren't confident with my low platelets so we wanted to go to the hospital for the birth.
Then things go sideways.
It was 6:20 when I got in the bath. BAD CONTRACTION. I was uncomfortable, and I blamed it on being in the tub. I was fine in bed and I was fine walking. Then another. I decide that I am getting the drugs when we get to the hospital, there is no stopping me. Then it is 6:30 and I feel a snap and a bad contraction and then my body is screaming push. OH CRAP.
Kyle says it hasn't been an hour, but I make him call the midwife back, I am going to the hospital NOW! My water has broke in the bath tub, which really is the best place. He calls and says we are on our way to the hospital, leaving me alone in the bathroom to get out of our extra deep tub all the while trying my hardest to go against nature and not push the baby out. I get out and on to the floor. Dragging the towel behind me I make it crawling to the hallway. Kyle is now off the phone, midwife on the way to the hospital, and I inform him that the baby is coming right here and now. I AM NOT GOING ANYWHERE. Double crap. So he calls the midwife back and says change of plans the baby is coming now and there is no making it out of the house. He gives her the address and hangs up. I call for him to call Heather, he forgot all about her in the excitement.
I lay having a couple more contractions in the hallway waiting for the midwife. I hear the door open. Excellent! I put my legs up on the door frames on either side of the hall and push. Crap false alarm, it is Heather. She got here before the midwives. I quickly change back to my holding position.
It's now 7 and finally the midwives get here. They set up some of their things, start writing, ask Kyle to do some running around the house preparing things, and get me into bed. Finally time to push. First push and they announce "we have dark hair". BAH. There goes my push. I lay back and think how I was so sure he was a ginger. I push a couple more times and am shocked with how there is no pain.
7:30. Then shocked again as they place Noodle on my chest. Arthur Douglas goes out the window, this kid isn't a ginger. He is a mini Kyle. I can't even think of a name. I can't even think at all. I am in shock. I am scared, I remember the reason why we were going to the hospital, I could be bleeding out. I don't even have an iv started. The midwives are smiling and inform me that I haven't really bled at all. I cover him in the blanket so fast they ask if I don't want to check and make sure it is indeed a boy. I don't even care to look, who would care, my baby is here and he is happy and healthy and best of all I am OK I focus on Noodle, loose focus as I see something shiny. Oh crap that's a needle and it is heading right for my leg. It hurts, a lot more than having a baby but hey I can look at my baby. Kyle cuts the cord and things are done in a blur around me. They get out all my pillows and some warm blankets and get me sitting up and tucked in. This is my favorite part. I am warm and feel comfortable in my own bed. Kyle and I are left to have some moments alone with Noodle. Still no name....this is making me upset but I am still in shock because I went from "I'm not in labor" to "hello I don't have a name for you" so fast.
When the midwives come back they inform me that I have a small tear but that they feel it will hold closed and stitches aren't needed. Did I want the stitches anyways? Ummmmm...... NO. So I was ordered to bed rest for a couple days and then to keep my legs closed as much as possible to heal.
Before the last midwife left at the end of the night she tells me "Next time, we come on the first call". I think, next time I won't be so foolish, I will tell them in the first call I want them there. I won't be so foolish in telling Kyle not to worry that I am not in labor.
No comments:
Post a Comment