Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Fabulous Life and Self Entitlement

Ok so lately I have been just fuming with anger over this generations thought process and self entitlement issues. I grew up in a house where money wasn't an object, if I wanted it I got it. Our basement was FULL of toys and movies and Nintendo and anything JPotty and I could want. So I would be a spoiled brat right? Yes I was when I was younger and a bit again when I first got married, but when I was in Grade 9 something happened. I learned about the importance of budgeting and living within your means. I seen my parents struggle to give JPotty and I everything we wanted. I seen life. Now I am all about the budget, I collect coupons to lower the price of EVERYTHING (BBQ sauce was on sale for 87cents and I had a buy 2 get $1 off, so I paid 74cents for 2). K-bot and I work hard at saving our money for long term goals and sacrificing things for the bigger picture (do I really need to drink juice or can I save a couple bucks and put that away for a house? gets K-bot's parents mad). I do have nice things I will admit to that, I mean just yesterday at the mall I got a new ring and 2 Aeropostale hoodies. I will admit to brand names in my life, I am very loyal when I find a brand that is everything I want, I will only wear adaias shoes/bluenotes jeans/aeropostale hoodies. But I don't feel that I need those, or at least new those all the time. I still have tshirts in my closet that have been in there since I was 3.

Now to the self entitlement, I know people who have worked for YEARS and YEARS and have NOTHING to show. They have fabulous extravagant lovely lives with nothing. They are 1 emergency from utter destruction. I don't know why you would trade safety and security of having a savings fund for something as stupid as brand name hoodies and jeans. Are they really going to help you get anything more than too many sex partners and an std? High school isn't the end all be all. I went through without a brand name item and I am fine, I didn't have a lot of friends. But if your friends only like you because you can afford that crap well then they aren't really friends. These young people who buy and buy without thinking of tomorrow have not a clue how life works. I get looked down on all the time (even within family) for not having the brand names and best stuff, but who the hell cares? I will have everything I want after my sacrifice, I will own my own home and have it paid off light years before these kids get it together, I will have a family who can feel secure that should something happen (IE recession/depression) I have prepared during the times of plenty so they will be safe and cared for (can you tell my favorite Bible story is Joesph of Egypt?). These kids don't work and if they do they don't work hard enough, I worked 1 summer and made enough to pay off my 2 years of college. Was it fun? NO! Was it what I wanted to do? NO! Did I want to work till 4am Saturday night and then get up for church at 9am? NO! Did it help me start my life the right way? YES! K-bot and I got married young, REAL YOUNG. I was 19 when we got married (K-bot was 20) and because we were already on the path of work now play later we were able to start a life without any debt. We did spend like crazy and ended up only saving $3,000 that first year, things were new it was hard to control being the adult in a house for the first time. I could buy whatever I wanted without Mamaz saying NO. But keeping track of income and spending was the first step. We seen our errors and did better the next year, and by this year we have it perfected where we end up saving 50% of our income every month. I have more than enough money to have a fabulous life of spending and brand names, but what is it worth? I am tired of getting flak for the way we save instead of spend, tired of hearing "you NEED juice and nice expensive things to have a good life". I need very few things, but I live a good fabulous life. We still have date nights, which now consist of a movie (alternate who picks each week, though we both like the same types of movie), a delissio pizza, 1 can of pop each, and if we are having a good month M&M Meats chicken wings. Who wouldn't find that satisfying? It isn't hard to make a budget work, and you can still have a life, just modify it to save the most money (a delissio on sale 2 for $5.50 instead of 1 take out pizza for $25, pretty simple).

So tell me how is your life so much better than mine???? How is Hollister going to help me better my life???? Did your Prada bag and matching scarf pay for your education???? Does that $150 dress do anything other than not cover your "special areas"???? Say what you will now but I do believe that in the end Joesph's brothers all came begging because they were fools with their own sustenance, just remember that as you sit there passing me over because I don't have the newest brand name thing.

2 comments:

jjandb said...

You CAN have it all Laura...we have no debt (other then a morgage) AND wear brand names...thank you yard sales... Ben wears all my favorite brand name toddler clothes (oddly enough he is more popular at preschool...go figure, kids are so fickle) and I just got a hollister shirt, abercrombie hoodie and areopastal hoodie for...okay hold your breath...TWO DOLLERS EACH! I am still looking for the five dollar prada bag...maybe tommorow?

Good for you for holding strong to the savings, you won't regret it and it will pay off for you big time and give you a peice of mind you cannot buy.

jjandb said...

ps I like you even if you are not wearing a hollister hoodie...and you know mine came from someone else's throwaway pile now anyhow...but they do just fit so nicely...and wash so well and well you know...BUT your right no hoodie paid for my education! But seriously..you should go yard saling, it is my favorite thing in the whole world!!! Its like treasure hunting with no pirates.