Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Never Ending Quest

So I am on a never ending quest to make every penny go a little farther. It isn't just the whole recession fear that drives me, I have always been one for a good deal and saving as much money as possible. On the quest of mine I have found quite the list of great blogs and sites that tell you about the best sales and the best coupons and best of all the best freebies. I have gotten quite a few freebies lately in the mail which helps in every part of life (I was even lucky enough to find a site that gave away a free bag of cat food, very expensive at the store for those who don't know). So I was looking over receipts for the year so far for a "little" activity that Kyle has for me and I decided that I would like to know just how much I have saved on groceries. I sat and added as best I could (I wasn't about to start looking at each one closely to find those hidden coupons) and I have saved like $30 this year so far (not counting the coupons for free items which I occasionally use). Add to that the fact that I buy sale items when favorites come on sale I stock up (Delissio pizza is a crazy item we always have to have in the house, one sale we ended up with 10 pizzas in our small freezer). I am doing good if I do say so myself.

Now as for that "little" activity Kyle has for me, it is to build an excel document to see what is cheap where. I have only done Costco so far and a few items at other stores that I happen to have a receipt for but it is taking forever. We were at Costco for 2 hours collecting prices and getting a few bulk items we always seem to need. I guess a little grunt work now will be worth it when we can more efficiently purchase groceries right? The thing that set this all off was I use 3 different face products and the stars aligned last month and I needed all 3 items at once.....$30 later Kyle was none too happy at my facial needs. We bought all of them at Shoppers since I wasn't thinking, I should have gone to the Walmart but oh well. We ended up at Walmart for something else not a week later only to discover all the products that I buy were less than half the price there, Kyle turned into a grizzly bear then.... Anyways this list is also a start to the whole baby thing. Kyle has never been around babies and doesn't know their needs or shopping very well. Upon finding ourselves at Shoppers in the baby aisle Kyle couldn't believe how expensive diapers were. So the chart I am making is very versatile including everything we always buy and things that we have no need for just yet!

If any of you would like a list of my coupon/savings sites let me know and I can post them. Also if you would like a copy of the ever so great shopping chart I can email it once I am done.

1 comment:

robinm said...

do share when you are done.. especially the prices on the baby stuff.