So while I was visiting my Grandma Barton the last time I was down in Niagara she gave me a shopping bag full of rhubarb and some recipes to make something nice for Kyle (she remembers that his fav is strawberry rhubarb pie). She also gave me some of her frozen strawberries to help make a pie. So last night Kyle and I made Rhubarb crisp, it is AMAZING. You see I would post a picture but it is gone now....yes we are pigs. Anyways it is simple, and doesn't require much of anything.
Preheat oven to 375, you will need a pan that is about 8x8.
4cups Rhubarb cut into 1" pieces
1cup Sugar
1/4cup Flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
~Combine and put in pan
1/2cup Water
~Pour over above
1cup Flour
1/2cup Quick Oats
1cup Brown Sugar
1/2cup Melted Butter
~Mix with fork to make crumbly mixture, sprinkle mixture over pan
~Bake 35 mins or until rhubarb is tender.
For pie crust Grandma always uses a Becel Pie Crust recipe, and I must say it is the best of all pie crust. I am very picky about crust and I try to never eat it as it is GROSS but Becel Crust I will always eat.
Becel Pie Crust
~Makes 1 9" pie crust
2cups Flour
1/2tsp Salt
1tsp Sugar
2/3cup Becel
6 to 7 tblsp Ice Water (Grandma says about 1/2cup is that is easier)
With markets coming up I am trying to find some great things to make with fresh fruit and veggies (I am also trying to perfect the flirt technique to get a deal on veggies from male vendors). I have recently been trying, and not hard I might add, to eat better. When ever I get on a we need to eat better kick Kyle seems to buy more snacks....I wasn't complaining when he bought me Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream though (who thinks that stuff is good? I have had better cheap ice cream!). Anyways I just thought that I would share those with you all out there.
No comments:
Post a Comment