Friday, September 3, 2010

Laura Math

So as those of you out there know I have red hair, it is a VERY visible trait. I also have blue eyes, which apparently some of my friends don't even know. So I am a rarity, red hair and blue eyes is the rarest of all the combination traits. Some sort of mutation on the albino gene, and for those of you who know me in the sun this all makes sense and is totally believable. Red hair itself is rare, I went most of my life not knowing many other red heads. I was reading about this and only 4% of the world has red hair.

I hated my red hair as a child, I couldn't go anywhere without people stopping me and touching me and telling me how lovely my hair is and how much they would pay to have it. Wearing my hair down and curly just made this worse. I was always an attention getter, especially when standing along side J-Potty who was dark skin, dark hair, dark eyes. I am now VERY proud of my red hair, and as for the attention? It has died down but I now love to preform for people and get attention so when I do get that attention I relish it!

I was left wondering just how many people are like me. Since I love math I decided to figure out an approximate number. So here is my math:
P = World Population
R = Red Head Population
L = Laura - Red Hair, Curly, Blue Eyed, Female
E = Eye Color
S = Sex
H = Hair Type

L=R(P x 0.04)÷E÷S÷H
L=(6,865,905,599 x 0.04)÷3÷2÷2
L=274,636,224÷3÷2÷2
L=91,545,408÷2÷2
L=45,772,704÷2
L=22,886,352

So an approximate percentage of the population that is like me is 0.0033exp%. That is a number not taking into account the fact that red hair and blue eyes are the most rare combination and would therefore not be an equal division like I have used. But because I don't have exact numbers I had to do the best I could.

No comments: