Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Christmas Memories

So I was reading the paper and they wanted you to send in your best Christmas memory, I didn't enter it but it got me thinking what is my favorite Christmas memory?

Among the 23ish Christmas's I have had these stand out in memory:

~On Christmas eve Dad deciding to tell my 5 year old cousin that Santa won't be coming as there was a big accident on the 401 and he was dead. And reindeer guts were everywhere, but if you hurried the police were letting you take the meat to eat. Lucky she was used to Uncle Don's "stories" so she shrugged it off.

~I was really into space and such so I had asked for the movie Apollo 13 (so long ago it was a VHS I was asking for) and a Sailor Mercury doll. I get up Christmas morning to find a note and an envelope (no the note was not in the envelope they were separate things). Anyways the note was from Santa explaining how he was unable to make Sailor Mercury dolls that year but maybe next year he would be able to make them. Then the envelope, this also had a small note from Santa in it. The note read; "Laura I was unable to get you your movie, please take this money and buy it yourself. Santa". So all in all I did get presents, or at least the presents the fat lazy man wanted to give me, which weren't what I wanted.

~Mamaz always buys J-Potty and I a gift to share, and then one present each (Santa is the generous one in the present department...though after that last story I doubt anyone would believe me). One particular year the share gift looked mighty small, what could it be? A STAPLER! That's right Mamaz bought us a stapler to share.....needless to say we didn't appreciate that as much as past years gifts. Santa was looking like a real winner then!

~J-Potty needed a new comforter for her bed one year, so when Christmas rolled around guess what she got from Mamaz? Yep a new comforter that matched her room and everything. How would this be a great memory? It is what happened next that cemented it in all our minds. So you can pretty much tell what a comforter is even while wrapped, so J-Potty was already weary to open it, she pulled off the smallest little piece of wrapping, seen it was a new comforter and threw it away crying she did not want a new one she loved her old one. She cried for a while after that and didn't open anymore gifts for a while. She never has been good with change.

~The last on the list is from last Christmas when J-Potty and I were to tired and bored to decorate the tree we wanted so desperately. I think we may have gotten 2 ornaments on the tree each before we laid down and Mamaz got upset that we weren't decorating the tree like we wanted to. So while she was making dinner upstairs J-Potty and I laid on the floor and threw as many ornaments up on to the tree as possible then called nap time. To our shock (and Mamaz as well) the ornaments stayed on the tree....or at least till Onyx climbed up it and knocked the whole thing down.

No comments: