Thursday, November 5, 2009

Movie Review

So I want to share a movie will all of you out there....and for those of you who aren't Mamaz it is sans puke smell! That is a perk right there, maybe even enough to see the movie? I would hope so! A Muppet Family Christmas original air date December 16th 1987. This movie has been part of my life since the day it aired (ok so I was one and probably unaware of what was going on). I still have the vhs Mamaz made of the original airing, full of pops and clicks and all sorts of funny noises and visual effects vhs tv tapings had (all you who were around "back in the day" know what I am talking about). I watched this movie like stupid, so much so that I am sure it only has 1 more play left in it before it is completely dead.
So what's the big deal you are asking me now? Muppets and Christmas are synonymous by this time, I mean come on that was almost 22 years ago there are new ones out that I am sure have better special effects. I shall say true Muppets and Christmas go hand in hand, and true there are new specials but NONE as good as this one.

Reasons to see this movie
-It contains ALL the Muppet Family, this includes; Sesame Street, The Muppets, Muppet Babies, and Fraggle Rock. How awesome is that, all your daily requirements of Vitamin Muppets in one healthy movie dose!
-It was made in '87 which means all the original voices are still in tact! No off sounding Muppets here.
-Jim Henson is ACTUALLY IN the movie. That's right, much like Santa at the end of the Santa Claus parade Jim Henson steps in at the final moments for movie perfection!
-You get to see all the classic Muppets that seemingly died with Jim; Sam the Eagle(who has been making a come back lately though), Crazy Harry(did somebody say blow it up???BAM), and Beauregard the Janitor.
-It contains the line "I don't care what the turkey says, the dog is not a turkey, the turkey is a turkey you turkey". Hard to argue that eh?
-You should watch it because I triple dog dare you. Yeah you heard me, double stampsies no erasies!

Ok so the last point isn't a real point and has nothing to do with the movie, but since most of you reading this are about my age you know that this now means you need to watch the movie! So what is the movie about? Well Fozzie decides that the Muppets should spend an old fashioned Christmas at the family farmhouse, all without telling his Ma first (ooops! but you know it is going somewhere with this if you know anything about 80's/90's sitcoms). So all the Muppets show up, then, also unannounced, the Sesame Street gang shows up. So where are these Fraggles I tell you about? Well Robin and Kermit go exploring a Fraggle Hole and come across the Fraggles and invite them to join in the family Christmas (Chaos) going on upstairs. All in all a fun family adventure full of music, family, and let face it classic Muppet comedy!

Now where would you find a movie like this, I know you are all dying to see it now so clamour away as I tell you all about how after Jim Henson died his shows were split and sold to different companies and this movie hasn't seen the light of day since (ok there is a dvd copy but it is not the real movie, they chopped that bad boy worse than the Bible). However fear not! We live in the digital information age where nothing is out of our reach, so gather round your nice warm computers and watch it in parts here (1, 2, 3, 4, &5). It is a poor copy, but remember these really only exist on vhs and in the minds of those who see it and love it enough to watch it at least once a month.
Ok so I lie a little, I have a real copy on dvd that you need not know how I got or what I had to do to get it (lets say the story involves the Dutch, that's enough right there!). So go and watch this, share the joy of the past with your children, then maybe pop in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and laugh with your children through classics such as the squirrel being loose in the house and the cat blowing up under the chair(I think that part counts as a safety video.....).

No comments: