So since summer is almost over and Kyle and I haven't had a vacation since our anniversary (almost a year ago) we decided it was the perfect weekend to stay up at Rice Lake with my parents. This also marked the first time we have left Sugar home alone for more than 15ish hours, but she was perfect (although VERY affectionate when we got home to her). So we had to do markets but it was a great day not too busy but just enough to sell almost all the fruit we had. Then it was off to Kyle's friend Dirks cottage just 5km from where we stay on the lake. Then to the trailer. Ah pulling all the way down to the lake and seeing the sun, sand, and all natures glory made Kyle and I think, "why not put some money aside and see if we can buy a trailer here sometime?". Oh yeah that's right reality time. We got into the trailer which is nicely placed on the site in front of my Uncle Dave's trailer. Luckily he was there to set us up as propane and water get turned off when my parents leave, so he turned everything on for us as we went through the car getting everything out, well that seemed like the end of vacation right there. When we got into the trailer it seemed as if the lake had come to meet us, the hot water tank blew a hole and there was water running down the kitchen and into the living room. So after hours of trying to soak up all the water with the only 2 bath towels still left in the trailer, my parents arrived. Well I guess no one seemed to pay too much attention to two young adults who were clearly over their heads since as soon as my parents got there the neighbour came in with a wet shop vac and was able to dry everything out. So first day wasted. Kyle and I were beat after such a day, we had gotten up at 2am and dinner was being served to us at 10pm so we didn't get into bed till about 11. But dinner was Uncle Dave's chicken wings, which could burn your lips off and put hair on your chest, man they were great! So you would think we would sleep in Sunday right? I mean 21 hours up the day before sleep was going to be a must. Wrong. The trailer isn't for vacation it is for fishing, so Dad was up and happily sounded like a moose in the 32' trailer waking the rest of us up at 6am. Apparently you need to get out early or I don't know the fish may just not want breakfast??? So up we were after only 7 hours of sleep (which is never enough after markets), the closest church is an hour away from us so we decided just to skip out on that and mom took us out for breakfast. I had barely even started to eat before my numbness kicked in and I couldn't move or do anything. I ended up only eating 2 of my 3 pancakes and then fighting the losing battle against the numbness. She took me back to the trailer and I promptly grabbed my blankey and bear and pinched my eyes closed as hard as I could. Two hours later when I woke up feeling like I had just blinked my eyes, I was not feeling any better. However I happily followed Kyle out to the docks so he could go for his swim. We had dinner together and then Kyle and I left to head back home, getting here just after 10:30.
At my parents trailer there are these wild cats that have been there forever, but a few years ago my Dad called one Sandy and decided it was his outdoor cat. So since then we have all made a point of calling the cats/kittens over and letting them eat with us. Each year it seems like the kittens that are born get more and more tame. Some people around the park even end up taking some in and keeping them (that's how my parents got their kitten Onyx). So this year there were 4 kittens born under the trailer and the mother taught them that we were friendly and could be counted on for food and milk. A couple weeks ago some people with a shelter captured all the wild cats except for the kittens under the trailer, so now mother less they will gladly take attention from us and one that Kyle named Jim will even come inside and make himself comfortable in your trailer. So as an animal lover I spent most of my time out playing with the kittens. I named them all as well. Jim had a light patch on his chest and was the friendliest, then there was the grey cat Shy, then the runt of the litter a black with 1 white whisker I named Wink, and lastly a black with white patches on his shoulders I named Humour. They were all so cute and small I wanted to keep one, however Kyle seems to think that 1 big fat cat that sleeps in bed with us is enough so I didn't get one.
No comments:
Post a Comment